This is an accredited CITB – Site Safety Plus course.
This five days course is designed for site managers, project managers, and/ or senior engineers as well as for those who are, or are about to be responsible for planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering groups of staff and workforce on a construction site.
The course covers all relevant legislation and other aspects which affect safe working in the building, construction and civil engineering industries. It highlights the need for risk assessment in the workplace, the implementation of the necessary control measures and adequate communication to sustain a health and safety culture among the workforce.
Course content and learning outcomes
This course will cover the following topics:
- The Health and Safety at Work Act
- Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations
- Risk assessments/method statements
- Recent changes in accepted working practices
- Behavioural safety
- Management of occupational health
- Working at height
- Confined spaces.
Undertaking the course delegates will:
- Manage health and safety on site in accordance with current legal provisions, and within the context of their management or supervisory role
- Develop an understanding of responsibilities and accountability for site health, safety and welfare
- Recognise a safe site is efficient, economical and productive.
At the end of the period of training, delegates will be aware of, and able to:
- Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them during their daily work
- Implement new guidance and industry best practice
- State their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and he environment.
Attendance to all five training days is mandatory. No delegates are allowed to enter the final assessment if they do not have full attendance.
The examination paper is compulsory and consists of 25 questions selected by CITB covering all aspects of the courser. The examination pass mark is 80% (28 out of 35).
The paper consists of 20 multiple choice questions and 5 short written question. There are 5 safety critical questions in each exam paper. The delegate must get all 5 of these questions correct to pass the exam.
Where a delegate has achieved 70% in the core exercises and the trainer’s review, and gained between 71%-77% (25-27 out of 35) in the examination or has achieved the 80% pass rate but failed the safety critical questions, the delegate may re-sit the examination. This can either be on the same day or by resitting the exam by attending another course on the final day within a 90-day period (the delegate is not obliged to re-do the day’s course). Magic Training LTD must make the arrangements with the delegate and ensure that the same examination paper is not used twice.
When a delegate scores less than 69% (24 correct answers out of 35) in the final examination, the delegate must attend the full SMSTS course again before they can re-sit the examination.